Monday, July 2, 2007

Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies

Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies: from Spark People

I had to tweak the recipe a bit. We can't use peanut butter, so I subbed soy nut butter. We also can't use eggs, so I used Ener-G egg replacer instead. Because the kids aren't on a diet and because, well, they're kids, I increased the amount of sugar too. I'll post the original recipe and put my substitutions in parenthesis.

Ingredients:
1. 1 cup unsalted natural peanut butter (1 Cup of Soy Nut Butter)
2. 1/2 cup Splenda brown sugar [packed] (3/4 Cup of brown sugar - packed)
3. 1/4 cup egg substitute [such as Egg Beaters brand] - (2 Eggs Worth of Ener-G Egg Replacer Prepared)
4. 1/2 tsp (gluten free) vanilla extract
5. 40 pieces semisweet chocolate chips or semisweet chocolate candies (sprinkle in as much Enjoy Life or other safe brand Chocolate Chips as desired)
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly spray a cookie sheet with canola oil (or use parchment paper).
2. In a medium size mixing bowl, place the peanut/soy nut butter, brown sugar, egg substitute, and vanilla extract.
3. Stir together well.
4. Using a small scoop, equal to about a rounded measuring teaspoon, drop cookie dough on the prepared cookie sheet.
5. Take a fork and make a criss-cross pattern on each cookie. Add one mini chocolate chip or mini chocolate candy to the top of each cookie.
6. Bake approximately 8 or 9 minutes or until cookie is lightly browned on bottom.
7. Remove cookie sheet from oven and let rest on a cooling rack for 5 minutes before removing cookies to rack to continue cooling. Makes approximately 40 tiny cookies

2 comments:

tash said...

can you use regular eggs with this peanut butter recipe?

ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

Tash, I don't see why you couldn't use real egg. The original recipe called for egg substitute (like egg beaters) and egg beaters is pretty much egg whites.
My son's allergic to eggs so I haven't tried it, but my thoughts are that eggs would work just fine. I'm thinking about 2 large eggs.