This recipe is from Eating Well magazine. I modified it a little bit for personal taste, but it got RAVE reviews.
1. 1/2 cup packed fresh cilantro leaves, minced (I used a 1/4 cup because I'm not a big fan of cilantro)
2. 2 tbs. red-wine vinegar or cider vinegar
3. 2 tbs. reduced fat sour cream
4. 1 small garlic clove, minced
5. 1 tsp. chile powder
6. 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
7. 1/2 tsp. salt, divided
8. new or baby red potatoes
9. 1.25 pounds strip steak, trimmed and cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
10. 2 poblano peppers or 1 large green bell pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces (we used sweet green pepper)
11. 1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
12. 1 large sweet onion, cut into 1 inch pieces
1. Combine cilantro, vinegar, sour cream, garlic, chile powder, cumin and 1/4 tsp. salt and set aside.
2. Preheat grill to high.
3. Place potatoes in microwave safe container. Cover and microwave on High until just tender when pierced with a fork, 3-3.5 minutes.
4. Toss the potatoes, steak and pepper pieces with oil and the remaining 1/4 tsp. salt in a large bowl. Thread the potatoes, steak, peppers and onion chunks onto 8 skewers*. Grill, turning once or twice, until the steak reaches the desired doneness, about 6 minutes for medium. Serve the kebabs with the reserved sauce.
* if using wooden skewers, soak them in water for at least 20 minutes before grilling. This will help keep them from burning. The potatoes are heavy so use metal skewers if you have them.
I made the sauce and it was perfect for the meal. But it did not seem like it would be enough for 4 people so I doubled it. And in doing so it seems VERY vinegar-y (is that a word?). So I just kept adding sour cream and spices until it tasted like I thought it should.
To make it dairy free, sub Tofutti Better than Sour Cream or other preferred safe dairy free sour cream.
Since I'm not a red meat eater, I made a few for myself with chicken. Keep in mind if you do that, the chicken takes longer to cook. Put the chicken kebabs on first or you'll be like me and still standing around the grill while everyone is else is eating steak.