Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Deep Fried Catfish


(The catfish, hushpuppies, and a potato pancake made with left over baked potatoes that I found in the fridge)

With Lent on it's way, I thought I'd try doing a fish fry. It turned out really well (so I'm told. I don't eat fish. But the family raved about it)

Catfish
1. 1 cup gluten free all purpose baking mix (I used Bob Redmill)
2. 1/2 cup cracker crumbs (I crushed Ener-G gf crackers in a food processor and didn't have enough so I added some gf tortilla crumbs - 3 tbs - to top it off)
3. 1/2 tsp garlic powder
4. 1/4 tsp onion powder
5. 1 tsp salt
6. 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
7. 1.5 cups of buttermilk
8. 4-5 large catfish fillets
9. 2 cups of canola oil (if pan frying)

1. I used a fryer. Make sure to get the oil to the desired temperature, about 350 degrees F (or just move the dial to the "fish" symbol and wait for the green light to come on like I did). If you are using a pan, use enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan and have about 1 inch of oil in the skillet (to float). Heat the oil to 350 degrees F.

2. Combine the 1st six ingredients in a large bowl and whisk together. Once combined put your flour mixture in a large, wide pan or baking dish. You will dredge the fish through the flour so if you are using long pieces of fish, you want to make sure your dish is also long. Put the buttermilk in a large, wide, shallow bowl.

3. Dip each fillet in the buttermilk and then dredge the fish through the flour mixture making sure to get both sides evenly coated. Set the fillet on a large platter or baking sheet. Continue with each fillet. Refrigerate until ready to fry or begin to fry fish.

Frying:

If you have large fillets, it's best to fry one fillet at a time. In a fryer, I immersed mine for 6 minutes. The time will vary depending on the size of your fillet. You'll know when it's done when it is golden brown on the outside and the inside of the fish is flaky white.
If pan frying, it will take 4-5 minutes per side. Remember to add more oil if needed between each frying and wait for the extra oil to heat back up.

Place fried fillet on a paper towel lined baking sheet and place in a warm oven to keep the catfish warm.

If you can't find catfish,, any white fish will work with this recipe, just adjust your frying time for the size of your fillets.

I'm giving away a copy of Allergic Girls new book! Just leave a comment on this post to be entered to win. I will draw the winner Friday February 18.

I hope you enjoy the fish and I hope you win the book!!


post signature

3 comments:

TheAtomicHouse said...

Wow, this looks delicious! I loooove fried fish.

FoodAllergyMom said...

Wow, that looks amazing! I have never been able to deep fry anything gluten free and have it come out looking like that. Maybe I'll give it one more shot. Thanks!

chumly said...

My favorite fish and way to cook it.