Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Blueberry Muffins

Photobucket

We went to our local farm today and purchased some gorgeous fruits and vegetables. One thing I bought was plump blueberries. I was going to make a blueberry cobbler, but the boys insisted on muffins. The muffins turned out totally delicious. Of course Older Boy won't eat them now because he didn't realize that they'd have REAL blueberries. He's used to the fake little blueberry specks you get in processed food. He's seriously anti fruit and that really bothers me. Good thing I figured out that the muffins are only 4 points each at http://www.weightwatchers.com/. Guess they'll make a good breakfast or snack item. The Little Man can only eat so many and the recipe made 17. If I freeze them, they fall out of favor and then no one eats them.

Ingredients

1. 1/2 cup dairy free margarine
2. 1 cup white sugar
3. 1/4 cup brown sugar
4. 1 teaspoon of salt
5. 4 oz. organic applesauce
6. 1 eggs worth of Ener-G egg replacer, prepared
7. 1.5 cups Bette Hagman Feather Light Rice Flour
8. .5 cup Sorghum Flour
9. 2 tsp. gluten free baking powder
10. .5 cup milk alternative (I used vanilla Silk)
11. 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
12. 2 cups of blueberries


Directions

1. Preheat oven to 375 and line muffin tin with paper liners.
2. In a large bowl, mix together margarine, white sugar, brown sugar, salt and lemon juice until fairly smooth. Beat in applesauce and egg replacer.
3. In another bowl, mix together Feather Light Rice Flour, Sorghum Flour and baking powder. Use a small amount of this mixture to cover blueberries (this helps keep them from sinking to the bottom of the muffin). Mix in the flour and milk alternative, alternating each. Gently fold in blueberries.
4. Spoon batter into the lined muffin cups filling cups almost to the top.
3. Bake for 30 minutes in oven until muffin tops are slightly browned and a tooth pick inserted comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan or eating.

Photobucket

post signature

7 comments:

FoodAllergyMom said...

First of all those muffins look scrumptious! It's so nice for us to have a resource like you with an allergy list so close to ours! Second...I have tagged you. Look at my most recent entry for explaination, rules, etc.

Holly Tried It said...

Wow! These look great! But I have one problem--the butter. Do you know of a dairy-free, soy-free, corn-free alternative?

Thanks for your help.

ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

Ugh, I don't know of a dairy, soy, corn free alternative. Someone in our food allergy group bakes everything with safe oil (olive oil, etc.). The other thing that people have tried is Spectrum shortening. It's made with Palm Kernel oil. Sorry I'm not more help, but soy and corn allergies are the hardest to avoid. I'm always at such a loss with those.

FoodAllergyMom said...

When Emily couldn't have soy we used Spectrum for everything! Believe it or not it actually adds a "buttery" taste to baked goods. It's wonderful stuff! The only downfall is too much of it can make you a little gassy. (sorry, was that TMO?)

FoodAllergyMom said...

I finally got all the ingredients to make these and just wanted to let you know they are scrumptious! I always wish people would leave me comments AFTER they try my recipes so I thought you might like to know too. We solved the too may muffins problem by simply cutting it in half, and we used frozen blueberries. Thanks for the recipe! :)

Nani said...

Ooh, these look really good for my daughter. She isn't allergic to wheat, but we try to avoid it a lot in her daily diet because she has so many allergies to the other top eight.

Sally JPA said...

Janeed, you inspired me. I ended up making some easy blueberry muffins (from the Whole Foods brand gf muffin mix) after reading your post! Deeeelicious. They totally hit the spot.