1. One loaf of Gluten Free Pantry French Bread Mix, Prepared (I subbed any eggs in the directions with Ener-G egg replacer)
2. 4 Tbs. of unsalted butter or dairy free margarine
3. 1 large sweet onion thinly sliced
4. 1 celery rib, diced
5. 1 tsp. chopped sage
6. 1 tsp. chopped thyme leaves
7. 1/2 pound of bacon
8. 3 cups of low salt gluten free chicken broth
9. 2.5 tsp. salt
10. .5 tsp. freshly ground pepper
1. Prepared gluten free bread. When cool, cut loaf into 1/2 inch - 1 inch cubes (depending on your preference). Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Toast bread cubes in 375 degree F oven for 20-30 minutes until bread cubes are fairly crunchy. Remove from oven and put bread into a large bowl.
2. In skillet, melt butter/dairy free margarine. Add the celery and onion and cook over medium heat until tender. Add sage and thyme and cook another minute. Scrape mixture into bowl with bread.
3. Cut bacon into half inch pieces and cook until crisp. When finished, use a slotted spoon and add to bowl with bread.
4. In a medium bowl, whisk together chicken broth and 3 Tbs. of bacon drippings. Add to bowl with bread. Add the salt and pepper and toss everything until the bread soaks up the liquid. Scrape into 9x13 buttered/margarined baking dish.
This can be refrigerated overnight at this point.
Bake stuffing for 30 minutes covered in 375 degree F oven until it is heated through. Removed foil and continue to bake another 30 minutes until the top is crunchy. Serve warm.
Total cook time: 3 hrs.