Thursday, October 18, 2007

Mushroom Soup

Since I've been sick, I've desperately wanted soup. I really needed something hot and warm to make me feel better. I was hoping that if I went to the trouble to make home made soup the whole family would eat it. My husband loved it and ate it two days in a row. The kids said " We don't like mushrooms". Too bad for them they don't know what they're missing. Well more for me :)

Mushroom Soup:

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons dairy free margarine
1 cup peeled and sliced carrots
1-2 large shallots chopped
1/2 cup sliced celery
1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
2 pounds sliced fresh crimini and white button mushrooms
6 cups homemade or store bought gluten free chicken stock
1 table spoon of fresh basil chopped
2 cloves of garlic chopped fine
salt and pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS
1. Melt the margarine in a stock pot over medium heat. Add carrots, shallots, garlic, and celery. Cook and stir until tender, about 10 minutes.
2. Stir in thyme, basil and mushrooms, and continue cooking until mushrooms are soft, about 6 minutes.
3. Pour chicken stock into the pot, and season with salt and pepper. Cover, and simmer over low heat for 30 minutes.


post signature

1 comment:

Sheltie Girl said...

Janeen - I hope you feel better soon.

Sheltie Girl @ Gluten A Go Go