Monday, March 3, 2008

Mediterranean Brisket (slow cooker)

*adapted from All*You magazine

Ingredients
1. 1 can diced no salt added tomatoes
2. 1/2 cup vegan red wine
3. 5 garlic cloves chopped
4. 1/3 cup kalamata olives chopped
5. 1/2 tsp. dried rosemary
6. 1 (2.5 lb.) piece flat-cut brisket, fat trimmed off
7. salt and pepper
8. 1 tbsp. finely chopped fresh parsley

Directions

1. Place tomato, wine, garlic, olives and rosemary in slow cooker and stir to combine.
Sprinkle meat with 1 1/2 tsp. salt and pepper to taste.
2. Place it on top of tomato mixture; spoon half of tomato mixture over meat to cover. Cover and cook on high until fork tender, 5 to 6 hours.
3. Transfer brisket to a cutting board, tent with foil and let stand for 10 minutes. Skim fat from sauce; season with salt and pepper. Slice brisket across grain and transfer to a serving platter. Spoon some sauce over meat and sprinkle with parsley. Serve brisket wit remaining sauce on side.

Per serving: 424 cal.
15g fat
180 mg chol.
1g fiber
60g protein
5 g carb.

post signature

3 comments:

FoodAllergyMom said...

This sounds soooo good! Three out of 5 in this house could eat it (around here that's pretty good odds). When I told you my 6 yr old food allergies I forgot beef, and my 12 yr old is a vegetarian...but sometimes I need to cook for ME too. Right? While I'm here, I wanted to ask if I may add you to my blogroll.

ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

Yes, Please do! Is it ok if I add you to mine?
I don't eat beef so this works for 3 out of 4 at our house and my food
allergy child isn't really big on beef but we're working on it. He's so
limited as it is, but he's picky too and that makes it even harder!!

FoodAllergyMom said...

I know what you are saying. My 12 yr old is the vegetarian, she's allergic to nuts, and hates tofu. I think she may be allergic to dairy but I'm scared to have her tested because I don't know where she will get her protein from! I am adding you to my blogroll and yes you may certainly add me to yours. :)