I'm finally using up the last of the venison from the freezer. I'm hoping that we get more this year. It's nice to have all that meat in the freezer. The cost of butchering the deer is negligible, really. I'm not a big meat eater and I don't eat venison but with 3 meat loving males in the house, a freezer full of venison is a good thing (Especially in the this economy. And you can't get any more organic than wild game).
Venison Stew (serves 8-10)
1. 5 russet potatoes, peel and cut into 1 inch pieces
2. 12 baby carrots, cut in half
3. 1/2 red onion, quartered
4. Two shallots, roughly chopped
5. 2 stalks of celery, roughly chopped
6. 1 cup of water
7. 2 garlic cloves, minced
8. 2 tsp. of gluten free Worcestershire sauce
9. 1 Tbs. parsley
10. 1 bay lea
11. 1 tsp. paprika
12. salt and pepper to taste
13. 2 pounds venison meat (steaks, loin chops, etc) seasoned and cut into 1 inch pieces
1. My guys don't enjoy the gamey taste of the venison so before I cut it into chunks, I seasoned it with an all purpose seasoning (I used one from our local grocery, but something from Emeril or Paul Prudhomme would work nicely. You could even make your own.)
2. Add all the ingredients into the crock pot. Stir to mix everything together. Cook on low for 10-12 hours.
I used the 2 shallots because I had them on hand. You could use 2 onions quartered instead. Also, if you aren't a fan of venison or you don't have any on hand, beef, buffalo, elk, etc. would work just fine also.